- In research
Alpha components have not been thoroughly tested by developers. Learn more about component maturity.
The page feedback component lets people react to specific pages on your website. It puts the question, "Did you find this page useful?" above the department footer on every page. It has buttons to reply Yes or No, followed by a comment field.
The page feedback component is intended to:
- Let people point out bugs or out-of-date content
- Inform iterations to content pages
- Determine hierarchy and priority of information
- Identify themes in user sentiment
- Pinpoint missing or confusing content
- Identify specific spikes in feedback related to events
When and how to use it
We're still working on training and data services that supports the page feedback component. If you're interested in using page feedback, reach out through our Contact us page. We'd like to hear more about your needs as we work on these services.
How not to use it
Do not use the page feedback component on pages that are part of a transactional process flow. This can distract people from finishing their task.
Demo and sample markup
This can be defined if you wanted to supply your own data collection endpoint. This is not necessary and most implementations can omit this and take advantage of the default endpoint hosted by ODI at feedback.innovation.ca.cov/sendfeedback. The code will hit this endpoint if this parameter is not used.
npm i @cagov/ds-page-feedback
- Add the sample markup to your HTML.
- Refer to the Content model section for notes on mapping your data to the sample markup.
<script type="module" src="https://cdn.designsystem.webstandards.ca.gov/components/ds-page-feedback/v1.1.4/dist/index.js"></script>
- The page feedback component requires the
data-endpoint-url=""attribute for the endpoint to POST data to if the user submits a comment.
- The component also accepts optional text strings to support multiple languages.
- If you use the endpoint from the markup, data will be collected in a central Office of Digital Innovation (ODI) database and can be retrieved via API or Google Data Studio dashboard.
- The endpoint URL for any state website is supplied by ODI and can be obtained upon request.
- If you want to use this frontend component with your own backend service you can supply your own endpoint and the page feedback web component will POST the following fields on submit:
- The component will send Google Analytics events when the initial Yes/No buttons are clicked and will submit the full form response including the comment, whether they clicked that the page was helpful or not and their user agent.
The following CSS variables are used in this component:
All CSS variables define their own fallback value so you do not have to use additional CSS unless you want to change them. You may define your own value for the variable by adding your own style rules. Here is an example defining the global hex value for a CSS variable named “--primary-700”:
Component-specific accessibility review
- Make sure that add feedback
idattribute that is referenced in its label’s
- Make sure that page feedback buttons and input fields have solid, 2px outline that uses
--accent2-500variable on focused state.
Standard accessibility review
As a component in Alpha status, this component must pass the following accessibility reviews every time a new version is published:
- Tested with the axe accessibility tool and passes all automated WCAG Level AA checks
- Reviewed with the VoiceOver screen reader on desktop
- Verified keyboard navigation and that all actionable elements of the component are reachable via keyboard commands only
- Reviewed component layout on a variety of screen sizes
This component uses the following data attributes. We provide this information to help with integrating the component into backend publishing systems or identifying content that may require translation.
|Required field. Endpoint used to POST data if the user submits a comment.
|Did you find what you were looking for?
|What was the problem?
|Positive comment prompt
|Great! What were you looking for today?
|Thanks for feedback message
|Thank you for your feedback!
|Thanks for comments message
|Thank you for your comments!
|Submit button label
|Required field label
|This field is required
|Comment prompt label
|If you have anything to add
|Additional feedback label
|If you have any other feedback about this website
Values that this component will post:
|POST attribute name
|If page was helpful